Crochet Surgery

We all have those projects where we look back on them and say “If only I had done …” or “I wish I knew how to do …. when I made this.” I have one of those projects and unfortunately, it’s still a WIP and will be for quite some time. It’s my scrap yarn project, lovingly dubbed “Ugly Blanket.” It’s meant to be the hugest, ugliest, f’in blanket on the planet. It’s warm, and heavy and doesn’t give two shits about what you think about it’s color scheme.

Last year, I had a lot of scrap yarn from projects for friends and family over the years and I had no idea what to do with it all. There just wasn’t a project where the yarn would either be sufficient or the right color for. So I decided I’d go for the new type of stitch I learned, the front and post DC stitch and make it a basketweave blanket. I knew all the basic stitches without hovering over the guidebook, so I was pretty confident. Man I was a noob. Let me detail you the errors of my ways:

The day I go wrong. Adding Purple on the other side of the chain.
  1. I decide to work by length size. That means I made it 9.5 FEET long and I’m working on it’s width for each row. That isn’t a bad thing–you can definitely work blankets by the length size, but man is it discouraging! Oh can I also say that 9.5 feet is a staggeringly huge size and I regret it every time it takes me 25 minutes a row? But it’s too far gone now that I can’t possibly imagine frogging it.
  2. I disregarded yarn weight. Yep. My method of picking the next yarn was reaching in blindly and grabbing, therefore intensifying the color scheme madness. I luckily had most worsted/DK weight yarn in the box, but there were a couple of fingering mohairs. That selection created the weakest spot of the blanket (right in the middle) and it started to fray a little too much from all the weight. Also cleaning it is going to be a nightmare–that mohair is the only non-acrylic yarn of the bunch.
  3. I started with a chain. Oh Boy. That was the worst mistake ever. Take my word for it– if you are doing a large project with a stretchy DC stitch, you best be learning how to do foundation stitches.  I was so distraught after about 80 rows, I decided the only thing that I could forsee to fix it would be…. (laugh with me here)…. crochet on the other side of the chain. Hahaha. Yeah. No. That made it look worse!
Ugly Blanket Folded over in half, displaying the “The thin red line” or “The Belt Buckle.” That red chain section was driving me crazy!

I was discouraged every time I looked at it. I put it in hibernation for about a year and last night I was going through and organizing my WIP’s and saw it huddled in the corner of the closet. Enough was enough. I had learned enough from my time away to know what I was trying to attempt to do was highly thought of as crazy in the crochet community. I was going to cut the chain out.


To be Continued…


One Comment Add yours

  1. I was so happy when I read ths post, I too have an ongoing scrap afghan project, it’s so much fun. Can’t wait to see how cutting out the offending chain row works out!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s